We all love traveling and seeing the world. We love venturing to far off places to visit loved ones or meet new friends. We love seeing sights we’ve only seen in pictures. We enjoy trying foods from different cultures and to truly get the feel, you have to immerse yourself into that specific culture. These are all the priceless benefits with traveling. Traveling also comes with a price, usually a hefty ticket price but there are many little “issues” that can be avoided as well as a hefty ticket price. Here are 40 DIY travel tips and tricks guaranteed to make your travels a little less stressful and a lot more convenient.
1. Use a ‘private or incognito’ window when searching for tickets. If you’ve visited the site before you’ve been flagged and the price will usually go up a little for return visitors. To get the best price, “pretend” you are a new visitor.
2. Store your cables and other accessories that are easily tangled in an eyeglass case to keep them from tying impossible knots around each other.
3. Use straws to store small amounts of necessary liquids. You can even take spices camping this way. Just seal both ends with a lighter and label them appropriately.
4. Place a dryer sheet or two in the bottom of your bag to keep your clothes smelling fresh and clean.
5. Take a mechanical pen apart and wrap the spring around the end of your charger cable. This prevents it from getting bent and fraying.
6. Avoid long restroom lines at the airport. As you enter the terminal, everyone wants to stop at the first restroom they see. There’s usually another restroom just down the terminal so hold it and skip down to the less crowded one.
7. Use a binder clip to protect the head of razors.
8. If you forget the plug to your charger cord, remember that most TV’s these days have a USB port on the back that will charge your phone or camera.
9. Try rolling your clothes instead of folding them to save tons of space.
10. Use tissue paper when folding delicate clothes to prevent any wrinkles.
11. Bring a weekly pill box to separate small loose jewelry.
12. Screenshot any important information or documentation as a backup in case you lose something you need.
13. Save time at security. Stuff all your small pocket belongings and your belt into a side pocket of your carry on baggage. This will eliminate any extra bins and save time fumbling through your pockets.
14. If you’re partial to your brand of soap, create yourself a little soap pouch to bring and eliminate the stuff in the hotels. Just wet it, use it, rinse it, and let dry.
15. Protect your clothes from getting dirty with shoes on top by using a shower cap to cover the dirty soles.
16. Save battery and charge faster. Use your airplane setting and optimize your phone’s life while traveling.
17. Use the binder clip again to store headphones for easy access and prevent the dreaded headphone tangle.
18. Use a Tic-Tac container to store your hair pins and bobby pins.
19. Place a belt in the collar of your fancy shirts to keep the collar crisp and wrinkle free.
20. Seats near the wing of the plane have less bounce because that’s where most of the planes structural support is.
21. Keep your travel sized containers and refill them the next time you travel, rather than buying new ones each time.
22. In Google maps if you type ‘OK maps’, the site will save that location in case you lose service. This will pull up when you open maps again.
23. Cram the most into your carry on. Use those vacuum seal bags everyone has seen to compress your clothes on your carry on bags. They really do save a ton of room.
24. Don’t want to spend the crazy prices on water after the security gate? Bring an empty bottle and fill it as soon as you pass.
25. When reserving seats for two, get the isle and the window. Chances are nobody will choose the middle seat but if they do you can always ask them if you can sit by your friend.
26. Pack your suit coats inside out to prevent them from getting dirty and it stops creasing as well.
27. Wait until 3:00 pm on a Tuesday to buy your airline tickets.
28. Unscrew the cap of any liquid and place a piece of plastic wrap underneath the cap and screw it back on to prevent anything from spilling in your bags.
29. Want to know the best time to use the airplane restroom? They don’t allow lines so if you want the best shot to make it in try going right when the plane levels off or 15-20 minutes before landing.
30. Check the comments section of FourSquare for most places WiFi passwords.
31. Load your GPS when you’re using the hotels WiFi. This will prevent battery drain when you’re out and about because the city’s maps are already loaded.
32. Forgot a phone charger? Check with the hotel’s front desk for any extras. People leave them behind all the time.
33. Skip the baggage wait. If you place a fragile sticker on your bag, the handler will place your item on top. This means it will be the first one out. Even if your contents aren’t necessarily fragile.
34. Packing in a hurry? Save time with expandable closet organizers.
35. Delete tourists from your travel photos.
36. Use an ATM rather than the airport currency exchange to change in your cash. Their rates are usually a lot cheaper.
37. When you add .jpg to the end of your search you will avoid the very pricy airport WiFi charges and still be able to search.
38. Become the airport hero and earn bonus points by bringing a power strip.
39. Treat yourself to a postcard each day. It’s a nice surprise when you arrive home and make the adaptation to normalcy a little easier.
40. On your last day in a foreign country, take all the loose change you have and donate it to the homeless. Pay it forward and pass it on.
Some of these are absolutely perfect and will make traveling so much easier! I don’t know if I want to be the airport hero with the power strip but I wonder if you could charge people to plug in. HA HA Only kidding but these will make my adventures a little more stress free and you can’t put a price on that.
Share These Awesome Travel Tips With Your Friends