When we think of geniuses and innovators, we usually marvel at the discoveries and inventions they have created that have helped better our society. These people were and are some of the smartest people in our society, we sometimes take whatever they say for granted. We trust these people and what they say because of their vast knowledge and experience in their fields. Well even some of the smartest people throughout history have been wrong from time to time. I’m not talking about a being wrong on some simple things. Some of these people who are revered throughout the world for their genius have made some extremely bold predictions about subjects in their fields. At the time, these people were at the top of their fields, so we had no reason to doubt what they said. As time has passed however, many of these predictions have been proven completely wrong. This goes to show you just how much time can change our thinking and understanding of certain subjects and concepts around the world. Check out these smart people’s horrible predictions.
1. There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will every be obtainable. It would be that the atom would have to be shattered at will. – Albert Einstein
2. The energy produced by the breaking down of the atom is a very poor kind of thing. Anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation of these atom is talking moonshine. – Ernest Rutherford
3. There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home. – Ken Olson
5. A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth’s atmosphere. – New York Times
11. We will never make a 32 bit operating system. – Bill Gates
Those are some pretty horribly inaccurate predictions. At the time however, they probably seemed quite plausible. Technology has advanced at an exponential rate the past 100 years. It isn’t that far-fetched that these people believed this, because the technology and understanding of science at the time didn’t support these theories.