The internet is an amazing tool. It can also be a hellish landscape of ignorance and downright stupidity. People get so worked up over things that really have absolutely zero effect on their day-to-day lives. The term “social justice warrior” has been popping up recently as a name for these people. 2015 seemed to be the year of internet outrage. Let’s take a look at some of the biggest internet stories of the year, and see how people blew it all out of proportion. This should be good.
1. When someone posted a simple question on Tumbler, it turned into complete fiasco on the internet. Simply wanting input from Tumbler on whether this washed out dress was white and gold, or blue and black the internet blew up with people’s opinions on what color the dress was. Personally, I’ve only ever seen it as white and gold, but there were plenty of people who saw differently. Within a week it had 10 million mentions on Twitter. Bad blood was born between families as people still argue about what color this dress is.
2. McDonald’s across China responded to Burger Kings “Black Burger” with a new creation just as horrifying and unappetizing looking. Dubbed the “Modern China Burger”, people were quick to take to Twitter and ask “burger or rock?”.
3. People hearts across the world were torn asunder when the news that Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy were ending their 30 years relationship.
4. If you’re a Full House fan like myself, you may remember the episode where Uncle Jesse, AKA John Stamos got up on stage and performed with The Beach Boys. If you don’t remember that, I feel sorry for you. Well John actually got to do it in real life. He got up on stage and played a few tunes with the legendary band.
5. Ahhh yes, the outrage over a damn cup. Starbucks is known for having Christmas theme cups around the holidays. This year they decided to just do an all red cup, out of respect for people who may not celebrate christmas. The internet collectively lost its shit over a simple red cup because people felt it was an attack on Christmas. This is the world we live in…
6. A simple post on Twitter asking for advice on which nail polish matched these shoes turned into “The Dress 2.” People argued back and forth over which color matched. Some people even said the shoe kept changing color.
7. LA Splash Cosmetics unveiled a new line of lipsticks in September all named after Disney princesses. As if we didn’t have enough duck face selfies already, Instagram become log jammed with the selfies of women desperate to have a real life fairy tale.
8. Here we go again with the social justice warriors. Doritos introduced rainbow chips, and people got up in arms….over the color of some chips….
9. Imgur user Chivr just wanted to show the world the cute goat that followed him home. Well the internet had other plans. They decided to focus on this guys crazy eyebrows, and a brand new meme was born!
10. Starbucks had a rough year publicity wise. They tried to make these cute cookies of Polar Bears wearing scarfs. Unfortunately, no one on the internet saw that. What everyone saw was a whole bunch of Polar Bears with their throats slit serial killer style.
Click Next Page to see more ridiculous internet fails from 2015.