They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes a picture will take your breath away and leave you with no words to say. These 30 powerful images touched my heart and really put my life in perspective. Sometimes you need a picture or a situation to really get you thinking, and that’s exactly what these pictures will do.
1. Somayeh Mehri (29) and her daughter Rana Afghanipour (3) give each other a kiss. After being disfigured in an acid attack, they say others don’t like to kiss them.
2. Heart Surgeon after a 23-hour-long (successful) heart transplant. His assistant is sleeping.
3. A boy rescues his sister from underneath the rubble of their home in Syria.
4. Diego Frazão Torquato, a 12-year-old Brazilian, playing the violin at his teacher’s funeral.
5. Happy couple in Thailand.
6. Little Guarani girl holds on tight to a dead rat.
7. Egyptian woman kisses a policeman that refused to fire on protestors.
8. This girl survived 11 days in the Siberian forest.
9. Yezidi girl carries an assault rifle to protect her family against ISIS.
10. Two women who were finally able to marry after 72 years together.
11. Unknown soldier on duty in South Vietnam, 1965.
12. A 13-year-old eagle huntress in Mongolia.
13. Boy from Sao Paulo.
14. Black baby holding an albino baby.
15. Blind albino students tand in a dorm at the Vivekananda Mission School in India.
16. Rwandan boy left scarred after being liberated from a death camp.
17. Shaolin Monks training.
18. A Chinese Paramilitary Police recruit breaks into tears before shipping off for service.
19. Girl and Baobabs in Madagascar.
20. A 106-year-old Armenian woman guards her home.
21. Omayra trapped under the fallen debris of her house. She died just hours after this photo was taken.
22. Chief of a village in Brazil.
23. An iconic image of The Great Depression.
24. A malnourished mother and child at an emergency feeding center in Tahoua, Niger.
25. Siberian family meal.
26. A Muslim woman wearing a hijab.
27. A woman with Ambras Syndrome.
28. Geisha in Subway.
29. A miner takes a break inside an unregulated coalmine in Sabinas, Mexico.
30. A coal miner smokes a cigarette after finishing his shift on the outskirts of Changzhi.
These are some definitely some powerful images. It is so hard to see people who are malnourished and suffering. But hopefully these pictures will put your life in perspective, and possibly cause you to volunteer time, money, or supplies to many humans in need.