The amazing talent of actors and actresses will lead you to believe they ARE the role they’re playing. Make-up and costume add to the effect to transform the talent into someone completely different on-screen. The magic of Hollywood magically creates an effect that is real to each and every one of us. What we have here is an amazing list of behind the scenes photos that is going to alter your perception of that reality. Seeing these actors and actresses in a different light really adds to the level of respect I have for their talents and helps me gain appreciation for their abilities to make us believe they are something that they’re not.
1. All this time I thought that Princess Leia had issues with Chewbacca. They look pretty cozy here.
2. This one totally tripped me out. The Muppets meet Luke and Yoda? Awesome!
3. On screen, Lisa and Loiuse Burns are super creepy. Offscreen, they just look like nice, normal little girls.
4. Here’s Johnny! Actually, Jack, could you get out-of-the-way? Stanley Kubrick is just trying to take a picture with his daughter.
5. The Shining set was destroyed in a fire. Here, Stanley Kubrick is photographed laughing in the pile of charred remains.
6. Wait a minute. What? Kermit’s not real? This is totally Kermit looking into the eyes of his great creator.
7. Look at this cute couple. Johnny Depp looks much better without all the creepy cuts, scrapes, and pasty white skin that he has on screen while playing Edward Scissorhands.
8. Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet looking quite dapper as they relax between scenes while filming Titanic.
9. Looks like there’s plenty of room up there, Kate. Slide over and change the outcome of the entire movie!
10. Behind the scenes of Ben-Hur. The guys just doubling up on a Vespa, and enjoying it a little too much.
11. Gene Wilder lends Peter Ostrum his hat for a moment.
12. Sir Anthony Hopkins breaking character, unless there are some sort of cannibalistic french fries that I don’t know about.
13. Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu (well, most of her) having a little fun behind the scenes.
14. E.T. receives a scrub down from director Steven Spielberg.
15. Leonardo relaxing for a moment on the set of Django Unchained.
16. Heath Ledger hanging around. This scene is far more impressive when the green screen is replaced with the computer graphics effects.
17. The Joker pulling off a kick-flip over The Dark Knight.
18. Out of costume and make-up, Heath Ledger heads home for the day.
19. Bill ‘Freakin’ Murray resting on the set, literally, of Fantastic Mr. Fox.
20. “Life is like a box of…” Here, hold this for a second Mr. Hanks
21. Good Kitty. Shooting the MGM Lion for their timeless introductory clip.
22. Chewbacca getting busted copping a feel. Maybe this is why the princess always seems so annoyed with the dirty wookie.
23. R2D2 looks awfully uncomfortable, trying to enjoy his lunch break. I don’t know why he didn’t get out, it must me more comfortable than it looks.
24. Irvin Kershner reviewing the screenplay.
25. I never thought I’d see Frankenstein enjoying a spot of tea.
26. You mean Godzilla was just a little dude in a costume? Mind Blown!
27. Okay, according to this photo of the train and DeLorean, Michael J. Fox is about 8 inches tall. Damn you, movie magic!
28. Harry Potter and Snape both smiling in the same picture. What’s happening here?
29. Voldemort and Dumbledore seem to be getting along. Notice though, that neither one is willing to put down their wand.
30. I thought this was an Avengers shoot? Why then, does Joss Whedon look like he’s imitating a Velociraptor?
31. Looks like Apple created time travel to send Kirsten Dunst a MacBook and some headphones. The technology is definitely far ahead of the times of Marie Antionette.
32. Sir Ian McKellen with his Gandalf stunt and riding doubles for Lord of the Rings.
33. I could have sworn that those Hobbits were like, half the height of Gandalf. My life is a lie!
34. I didn’t think that wizards would need umbrellas but, whatever it takes.
35. Maggie Smith is such a trooper, powering through the filming process while undergoing chemotherapy. Hat’s off to this tough lady.
36. Steven Spielberg posing in the mouth of a prop really takes the fear out of the movie Jaws.
37. A large group of extras has just fallen in battle. Now, hold signs and relax.
38. It’s still a little creepy to me, seeing the bad guy from The Temple of Doom smiling.
39. Boba Fett unmasked in the Star Wars Special Edition. With that mustache and those glasses, I’d put the mask back on.
40. Singin’ in the Rain, without rain.
41. What? Even the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park are just suited up humans. I’m appalled.
42. On the set of Return of the Jedi, Warwick Davis hangs out with Carrie Fisher.
43. So this is really the Life of Pi. I expected more.
44. Bill Murray, Grant Rosenmeyer, and Jonah Meyerson roughhousing on the set of The Royal Tenenbaums.
45. John Travolta and Bruce Willis wearing big smiles on the set of Pulp Fiction.
46. Some pretty impressive machinery was created for Inception, with Ellen Page and Leonardo DiCaprio.
47. Joel Coen and The Dude on the impressive staircase for The Big Lebowski.
48. MGM’s Munchkinland for The Wizard of Oz.
49. Look at this cute little helper on set of The Raging Bull.
50. 300 was an impressive film, but the costumes just look silly next to modern-day attire.
H/T to distractify
With so many fantastic movies out there, it’s hard to think of the actors as actual real people. They’re just like you and me. They laugh, play with kids, make jokes, take breaks and eat. I hope these 50 photos helped you to see the actors in a different light and gain a little appreciation for the talent and time put into some of your favorite movies.