Camping season is finally here and it’s time to get out into nature! Not all of us are too wilderness savvy so camping can be a bit of a messy inconvenience for those of you city folk. Well, here are 41 camping hacks that will make your trip more fun, easy and entertaining. Get a pen and paper ready or favorite this post for an easy reference to make your camping trip perfect for the family.
1. Use foam floor mats for a softer tent bed. They are easy to store once separated from each other.
2. A water lantern
3. Mountain dew, peroxide + baking soda = awesome lantern.
4. Make tin can sandwich bread. Click here for the recipe.
5. Take a mental note of these poisonous plants you want to avoid.
6. A great natural tick deterrent.
7. Buy some “strike-anywhere” matches and glue a piece of sandpaper to the top of a waterproof case for a handy durable match container.
8. Re-purpose an old coffee can to store and easily unroll your toilet paper.
9. Make crescent rolls over the fire by simply wrapping them around a smooth stick.
To maximize the flavor, consider adding some Nutella and marshmallows or wrap them around some hot dogs.
10. Use old Tic-Tac boxes to store some delicious spices.
11. A double sleeping bag is easy to pack, convenient, and provides plenty of room for cuddles. Cabelas has one for about $85.
12. These hammock chairs are perfect for fishing and lounging around. They fold up very compact and hang from a tree or your vehicle. you can find them here.
13. Take a straw and fill it with pocket-sized amounts of first aid ointment. Use a lighter to reseal the straw.
14. Rather than bringing all the supplies to make coffee, you can make individual coffee servings by using floss to tie up a pre-filled coffee filter. Drop it in the cup and pour in hot water.
15. These little things are also very handy for camping coffee because they take up no room.
16. For a romantic ambiance around the campsite, make these candle torches for a dim flicker of light to set the mood. Click here to learn how to make them.
17. Use a vegetable peeler to make single use soap bars. Also you can rub the soap on mosquito bites to relieve the itching.
18. Use a laundry jug or a plastic container to set up a hand-washing station.
Simply fill with water.
19. Use a belt to hang your pots and pans for storage and drying.
20. Campfire cones are an amazing treat to enjoy in the outdoors.
21. Make a pocket first aid kit for hiking using an old prescription bottle.
22. Make pancakes with pre-made pancake mix using shortening and dry milk, which don’t need to be refrigerated. You can also find powdered eggs at most grocery stores (if you don’t shudder at the thought). Get the full recipe here.
23. Place a battery-powered votive candle inside of a cleaned out plastic jar for a cute little lantern.
24. Use a 5 gallon bucket, a knife, and a plunger to make an outdoor washing machine.
25. Make an easy to light fire starter by placing match light charcoal briquettes into a cardboard egg carton. Simply light the carton and the charcoals will ignite easily.
26. Doritos are flammable and make great kindling.
27. Make a pocket oil lamp out of old small bottles. Click here for instructions.
28. If you don’t have any seasoning when grilling, place fresh rosemary over your charcoal after it has turned white for a delicious flavor added to your meats.
29. Wax covered cheeses are excellent camping snacks because they can last at least a week without refrigeration.
30. Add bundles of sage to your campfire to keep mosquitoes and other bugs away.
31. A delicious campfire treat is grilled Starbursts. Heat them up until they bubble and you will have an awesome treat with a crispy outside and a gooey center.
32. Try some quick-cooking alternatives like polenta, quinoa, or couscous. Polenta is especially versatile because it can be shaped into patties and pan-fried for a sweet or savory meal. Get a recipe for grilled polenta cakes here.
33. Cook your cinnamon rolls in hollowed out orange peels over a campfire. The taste will amaze your taste buds.
34. If you enjoy hiking, pick up some biodegradable trail marker tape. Tie this to the right path every time you come up to a Y in the trail so you can easily find your way back.
35. Keep the kids busy with a fun scavenger hunt.
Use a paper bag so they have a container to keep their findings.
36. Use a milk crate and a bucket as a perfect campground toilet. Click here for instructions.
37. Dip cotton pads in wax to use as very easy fire starters.
38. A small microfiber towel is very convenient when cleaning up dishes or yourself. They dry very quickly and are easy to keep clean.
39. Freeze a jug of water to keep in the cooler. This stays cold longer and prevents the gross melted water that fills the cooler after a few days.
40. Make an emergency light source using some cardboard, wax and an altoids tin. Click here for instructions.
41. Why not camp in style with this portable sandwich griller. Make delicious paninis with this press for about $26. You can find it here.
Camping is a great way to escape the monotony of the day-to-day hustle. It is a chance to get outside and enjoy nature and the outdoors. Camping is the perfect place to rejuvenate yourself in a beautiful, peaceful environment. With these 41 camping hacks, I know my camping trips are going to be amazing and I know that my friends will be very jealous of my newly acquired skills. With these hacks you can now camp in style so get outside and enjoy!