I try to wake up every day with at least a little optimism that things are going to go well and that the world is inherently a good place to live. I try to do things everyday that keep me happy and don’t let the cynic inside me take over. It can be really hard sometimes, but I think the human race as a whole generally tries to see the good that is being done over the bad. Some days are harder than others though. Negativity in the media at every turn can make it extremely difficult to feel positive about any current events. Everything is all doom and gloom nowadays. Have we ever taken a step back and looked at the fact that…..well maybe everything is? We have a lot of problems in our world today that people, either don’t know about or, just don’t seem to care about. So I hope you’re in a good mood today, because I’m about to drop 25 super depressing world facts that are going to make you wonder why we get out of bed in the morning.
1. 210 million orphans currently exist on planet earth. For comparison, the population of the United States is 318 million, that is around 2/3’s of the population of the United States. Absolutely heartbreaking.
2. Maybe even more depressing is the fact that 15% of the these poor children will
commit suicide by 18.
3. WWII was one of the biggest mass losses of life in human history. Unfortunately, it was civilians who payed the highest price. 75% of the people killed during WWII were civilians. That equates to around 50 million people. Absolutely shocking.
4. Many children around the world live in conditions that we would see as downright deplorable. Living in poverty comes with so many challenges, which include keeping yourself healthy. 22,000 children die every day because of living in poverty.
5. So many people in our world are living in absolutely vile conditions, it really is shocking when you think about it. Here is something else that is shocking, a standard cow in Europe receives a $2.20 a day subsidy. That cow makes more than 1.2 billion of the worlds poorest people. Starting to hate yourself yet?
6. It is no secret how lopsided and archaic the U.S. Correctional System is. The United States locks up more of its own citizens than any other nation on earth. Ever wonder about how much that costs? Well the United States spends about $200 billion on the correctional system each year. This amount is more than the gross domestic product of 25 states, and 140 countries! Are you kidding me?
7. Illegal slavery is the biggest industry on the planet, and it has been for quite some time. It is also a big, and terrible part of American history. Did you know that at least 10 times as many girls are trafficked into brothels annually in present times compared to African slaves who were transported to the Americas during the peak years of the slave trade?
8. Getting old sucks, but for a lot of us we really don’t anticipate having to deal with any of the struggles associate with old age until we are into our 60’s or 70’s. That may not be the case however, as your brain actually starts to deteriorate when you are 27. I’ve got one more good year left!
9. The U.S. military budget has always been a hotly debated topic, and rightfully so. The United States spends more money on the military than the next 7 countries combined together. Compared to what the funding is for an agency that could potentially help relocate us to a different planet, it’s staggering. The United States spends $20.2 billion on air conditioning alone in Iraq and Afghanistan. That, by itself, is more than NASA’s entire budget.
10. Wasted food is a huge problem throughout the world. Even just thinking about how much food fast food restaurants throw away on a daily basis is shocking. Magnify that by however many times and you can start to see how this could be a problem. This isn’t just a problem in rich countries that have an excess of food. In rich and poor countries alike, a whopping 30-50% of the food produced just rots away uneaten. I knew this was a problem, but that is crazy.