There’s something incredibly powerful when we look at the last picture a person took or a text they sent before a tragedy. It’s almost like you’re looking at a ghost. You can see the vibrant life in their eyes having a great time but knowing that was one of the last times they smiled. These are selfies taken by people who experienced something terrible after and here are their stories.
1. This is 21-year-old Oscar Otero Aguilar. Aguilar was drinking and decided he wanted to make a new Facebook profile picture by taking a selfie with a gun to his head. The gun was loaded and went off killing Oscar.
2. Gary Slock and his mother were on Malaysian airlines flight MH17 taking off from Amsterdam. They took this selfie right before take off and the plane was shot down over the Ukraine in July, 2014.
3. Here is a very famous Mexican Reggaetón musician named Jadiel. He uploaded this selfie to his Instagram right before a fatal motorcycle crash that killed him in May, 2014.
4. Two Iranian girls were taking a selfie video of themselves singing while driving. We all know where this is going. Luckily when they did crash they weren’t killed, just badly injured. They also took a selfie on the way to the hospital. Watch the video of their crash right below this picture. A video of the crash is posted above as well.
5. Courtney Sanford posted a selfie while driving and listening to the song “Happy” by Pharrel Williams. Seconds later her car crashed into a truck causing a fatal accident.
6. These two friends were on their way to a bachelorette party in Missouri when they took this selfie. Collette Moreno and Ashley Theobald were struck right after in a head on collision taking Collette’s life.
7. Mexican pop star Jenni Rivera boarded a private jet with her entourage in December of 2012. They took this selfie and moments later the plane went down leaving no survivors.
8. Xenia Ignatyeva was one week before celebrating her 18th birthday. She was in love with taking extreme selfies trying to top her friends on social media. She climbed a 28 foot railroad bridge to take a selfie and lost her balance. When she fell she grabbed onto high voltage wires and was electrocuted. The bridge she fell from is posted above.
These images are incredibly powerful and heartbreaking. They were taken moments before death which makes us realize how quickly life can change. Never take life for granted and NEVER drive and take a selfie.