When I was in high school, I was the type of girl who wasn’t popular but knew everyone in school. I could join in with any group of kids – the cheerleaders, nerds, outcasts, or loners but never committed to one group over another. I like to think of myself back then as independent (still do if truth be told). I was an almost straight A student, that could go through the whole school day without saying a single word out loud. However, I wouldn’t say that I was shy. I just chose to keep my thoughts to myself because speaking up generally wasn’t worth the effort. That is one reason why I am so glad our high school yearbook committee was too lazy to track down quotes from every student at our school. In their defense, we had a HUGE senior class. I honestly wouldn’t have wanted to undertake that task either. I am just glad I didn’t have to come up with a quote to put under my picture because I would have stressed out about it for forever, wanting to be witty, and then I would have probably just gone with something inspirational and boring instead. If we had been asked to submit a quote for our yearbook, I would have liked to be like these 30 students:
1. I’m sure we all could relate to Megan! After 12+ years (if you include preschool and kindergarten, duh) of servitude we were FINALLY free to join the world and do what we want! Except now we realize we miss the carefree days of high school, when we didn’t have bills to pay and we got summers off. I wish school holidays could extend to the work force outside of high school.
2. It’s weird that as a 30 some-odd, Caucasian woman I’ve never been randomly selected at security checkpoints. I guess I’m just lucky (meant with sarcasm for those of you who have a hard time deciphering sarcasm in the online world).
3. This is okay because he’s Asian. Now if anyone else said this, laughing would be way inappropriate and you would be sent to the principal’s office!
4. Madi is obviously going places! That kind of attitude proves she is a go-getter! I hope she not only uses this quote in her yearbook but somehow incorporates it into her resume as well! Mitchell too is pretty wise. I know a lot of people who suck but pretend to be someone else. Or is it that they suck because they are pretending to be someone they aren’t?
5. Joseph is obviously a player, er I mean playa’? (I can’t pull the latter off because of the whole white 30-year-old thing I’ve got going on). Poor Pareekshit, what an unfortunate name. I imagine he was happier than most when he didn’t have to do another first day of the school again, where every teacher he had throughout the day butchered his name (and pronounced the S).
6. I like Ankit’s reason for being vegetarian because it’s better than most I’ve heard. However, with the other guy, I would just like to say TMI.
7. Not sure why most dumb blonde jokes are about women. Obviously, not all dumb blondes are female. Let’s hope he misspelled “tough” on purpose because he was trying to be funny. I consider giving blood a necessary evil. I wish there was a way to do so that didn’t involve pain.
8. I didn’t even intend for this picture to come right after the one above it. I apologize for referring to the stereotype that all blondes are dumb. We will also give you the benefit of the doubt that you were trying to be funny too. At least, I hope so.
9. Those damn Harry Potter movies are putting everyone who sports a head-wrap under suspicion. You can never be too careful in regards to he who cannot be named! (Yes, I read most of the books and watched all the movies.)
10. He must be super fun to play board games with. I wonder if he is a gracious winner.
11. That is incredibly deep.
12. No. no I did not. However, as I mentioned above I was almost a straight A student. I bet there was no ‘almost’ in front of her straight A record.
13. Actually I really wouldn’t have jumped to that conclusion. Not sure why anyone would.
14. Sean is one of the smartest people I know (except I don’t know him). His quote is profoundly true. Jamie must feel dumb.
15. I would refer to him as ‘gangsta’ if that whole white 30-year-old thing didn’t stop me.
16. The wheels on the bus go round and round is a very prosaic. Bradley has discerning taste in music.
17. All the very best things are free (as long as you live with someone else who stocks your freezer with ice cream and cake so you don’t have to pay for it.)
18. People really do need to consider these kinds of things. It can happen and we need to be prepared.
19. I hate when I forget to forward chain letters and die the next day! (I didn’t write that quote. I honestly don’t know who did. I just thought it was funny and appropriate in this instance.)
20. Aren’t we all, Emily? I know I am. At least, I sure hope I am!
21. It’s too bad you can’t send your therapy bills to the people who caused you to need therapy in the first place.
22. I’m not sure why her quote made me think of Rosie and Sophia Grace. If you don’t know who they are, you must not watch Ellen DeGeneres. But truth be told, I’m not even sure they sang any of Missy Elliot’s songs so I really don’t know why I thought of them.
23. Mean Girls came about after I had graduated high school but many of their quotes would have been perfect for this project. I would have gone with, ” I know it may look like I was being like a bitch, but that’s only because I was acting like a bitch.”
24. Thank you Ronald, I’m sure lunch ladies everywhere appreciate that someone noticed.
25. You really can’t go wrong with quoting Goku!
26. I truly believe mayonnaise IS an instrument. My daughter is proficient in playing all types of condiments, however these instruments are quite messy.
27. You really shouldn’t racially profile yourself, Raza. No one would have thought that of you.
28. Honey Boo Boo must be wise beyond her years.
29. This too is my favorite Bill Cosby quote, written perfectly (you can’t not read it in his voice).
Once again, I am so thankful I was not asked to come up with a quote for my own yearbook, especially after reading what these witty students had to say. It would have just made me feel like my own quote was a let down in comparison. However, I may be too hard on myself. Let’s think instead that I would have had the BEST QUOTE EVER had they asked me to produce one. A quote so amazing it would have blown all other quotes away. Now, I’m sure it is everyone else who is grateful I wasn’t asked for a quote. You’re welcome.