What goes on inside prisons? What is the day-to-day life of a prisoner like? These are questions that many people around the world have asked themselves. How someone who is locked in a concrete cube passes the time is a fascinating thing to think about. I try to give most prisoners the benefit of the doubt. I like to think that just the act of being sentenced and going to prison is enough to get most of them to want to turn their life around and pursue opportunities outside of being a criminal. There are plenty of prisoners that have no intention of changing however. They have been involved in crime for so long that they don’t know any other way to survive. These are prisoners that cause many of the problems that occur in prisons throughout the world. They just don’t care who they have to hurt or kill to get their way. This does not mean they are not resourceful however. If you’ve ever seen some of the weapons that prisoners have created while locked up, it really is quite astonishing how they pieced them together from pretty much nothing. These 20 photos show handmade prison weapons and how they were made. Some of these are so elaborate and well thought out, that you can’t help but admire the men who created them. Check out these deadly prison weapons, and be amazed at the ingenuity that it took to create them.
1. This looks like the gnarliest set of brass knuckles I’ve ever seen. You could in inflict some serious damage with this thing.
2. In all honesty, I don’t really know what this is supposed to be. Possibly a hand-made electric grill or a bug zapper? Either way it’s obviously dangerous.
3. This guy literally made a shank disguised as a crucifix. Give him an A for effort.
4. When prisoners start making guns, that’s when I start to worry about things a bit.
5. Even the non-functioning weapons these prisoners made look real.
6. This “wrist rocket” could be very deadly with the right projectile. The inmate could also shoot notes and letters to the outside world.
7. I’ve heard of teenagers making bongs out of soda cans and bottles. An empty horseradish tube is definitely a new and innovative one however.
8. The design of this is really rather simple. When put to use however, the efficiency of it would also be very high. That blade will cut through flesh no problem or iron bars after some work.
9. Prison tattoos are extremely popular with inmates. There are plenty of examples of prison made tattoo guns all over the internet. The ingenuity is just as impressive as the weapons we’ve been looking at.
10. I wouldn’t want to get anywhere near someone wielding this thing. Those razor blades would cut you all over.
11. When you are in a desperate situation such as prison, you’re bound to try anything to get out. Fake guns however, still boggle my mind. Eventually people will be able to tell it is fake.
12. This is probably my favorite of all of these. It’s an actual functioning gun, and they successfully escaped using it!
13. This is just bedding tied together….like you’ve seen in every movie where someone tries to break out of prison.
14. It’s not just weapons these guys are creating. There is a whole economy that exists inside prisons. Prison moonshine is a valuable commodity, and being able to produce it can give you a great advantage.
15. I really wonder how guards did not find this thing. It had to have been pretty big.
16. They used this thing to scale not one, but two prison walls! This is one of the better prison tools I’ve ever seen.
17. This thing looks medieval. I wouldn’t want to face a prisoner swinging this around.
18. It’s a wonder why some of these inmates didn’t put this ingenuity to use outside of prison for the greater good.
19. Hiding it inside a hollowed out book. Clever.
20. This is a very simple weapon, but potentially very, very deadly.
Many of these weapons and escape tools wouldn’t have been able to have been thought of by people who have never been to prison before. You really must learn how to work with what you have on the inside. Your resources are incredibly scarce, and you would have to be able to improvise very quickly. It’s unfortunate that this ingenuity couldn’t have been used by these people on the outside to contribute to society.