We all know what it means to live paycheck to paycheck. I mean, it’s not like we find a magic bundle of cash sitting around whenever we need to make a repair. When I was younger, I would do just about anything to save a buck. This included do it yourself auto repair that probably should have been left to a professional. Nowadays, I take into consideration the extra time that it’s going to take my unskilled hands to complete the task, and if it’s going to more cost efficient to just pay a professional to do it, that is the route I’m going to take. To be honest, this is usually the case. The photos below are either people who are still stuck in that ‘younger’ phase, or they are deserving to be in the running as finalists for the redneck engineering talent show. I don’t know if that’s really a thing, but it should be. That would make for one funny TV show. Until that show becomes a reality, enjoy the photos and let us know who you think should be the winner for the most horrible car repair.
1. Popcorn Air Filter. My girlfriend would love this one! For her, there’s nothing better than the smell of movie theater popcorn. With this handy mod, her car could always remind her of that smell she loves!
2. Creeper Spare Tire. I think the scariest part of this one is that the creeper doesn’t even seem to be attached. It looks like they just lowered the car directly onto the creeper. That can’t be safe.
3. Window Glass. I’m willing to bet that this isn’t automobile grade safety glass. What do you think?
4. Old House Window & Spray Expanding Foam. This is a window mod that apparently required a little more permanence. They used plenty of spray expanding foam to make sure the window would stay in place without risking exposure to the elements.
5. Garden Hose Tire Tread. New tires are expensive, especially for my truck. But I really don’t think that you’re going to be getting very good mileage out of this garden hose tire hack.
6. Packing Tape Cup Holder. I’m trying to think of something to say about this one, but it’s actually pretty brilliant.
7. Duct Tape Paint Job. You have to look close. I originally thought that this was just a regular Cougar paint job. After a closer inspection, I’ve added one more use for duct tape to my ever expanding list.
8. Trailer Skirt Door Panel. Nothing like taking a part of your mobile home to repair your car door. Sometimes you gotta use what you have access to!
9. Bungee Cord Seatbelt Extender. Pretty sure you exceed the 100 pound tensile strength of that bungee cord, buddy. Doubtful that you thought that one through.
10. Glove Window Wiper Replacement. The best part about this one is, when you’re feeling lonely, you can turn your rear wiper to get a friendly wave.
11. 2D Printed Headlight. That new 3D printer stuff is so overrated. This old school 2D print works just fine!
12. Redneck Engineered Flashlight Headlight. Once again, you use what you have access to. At least they had safety and function in mind with this car repair.
13. Heating / AC Dial Modification. All of the sudden, I feel like watering my garden. I could tell you why, but I think it’s pretty obvious.
14. Lawn Chair Seat Mod. I don’t know about you, but when my rear end hits a lawn chair, my mind thinks I need an adult beverage. Probably not the best mod to discourage drinking and driving.
15. Sliding Door Latch. Hey, the internal workings of an automobile door eventually malfunction. The science behind them may be a little out of reach for the average Joe!
16. Locking Door Latch. For those ‘not so safe’ neighborhoods where you really need to protect your valuables.
17. Universal Exhaust Hanger. And this is why some people never throw away their old belts.
18. Gas Cap Cover Bling. Some people go with the chrome gas cap covers. This mod adds a little extra flare with a personal touch. I wonder if it’s the Fast and Furious soundtrack? That should add a few extra horsepower.
19. Modified Custom Tailgate. I’m not even going to ask how the original tailgate went missing. This tailgate looks pretty darned redneck, and I’m doubtful that it’s fully functional.
20. Bathroom Mirror Upgrade. Sadly enough, I have seen this one in real life several times.
21. Tail Light Repair. >Sometimes after an accident, you have to save up for a few paychecks to cover the deductible. In the meantime, the juice bottle looks pretty legit.
22. Zip Tie Arm Rest Stitching. All I can think of seeing this one is the girl Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas.
23. Up Cycled Doritos Bag. Come on. You can’t really get mad at someone for up cycling their trash. Go green or go home!
24. Heavy Duty Desk Bumper. All you gotta do iS remove the legs and BAM! Instant bumper!
25. New Door On The Cheap. You know that extra hardware you were going to use for the gate and the house door? I’m going to need to borrow that for a while.
26. Band-Aid Bungee Door. If the smashed in passenger side of the car wasn’t an obvious enough indication that the car had a boo-boo, go ahead and make a cardboard band-aid to make it more apparent.
I’ve always feared that my lack of mechanical expertise would cause potentially fatal errors in the repair of my automobiles. These people obviously didn’t care! If they had issues coming up with the money for a legitimate repair, I can feel for them. If they were just going for the world’s greatest redneck fails, I fear for their intelligence.