It may seem ridiculous that someone would insure their teeth or chest hair for millions of dollars, but if you are famous and what you insured just happened to be your signature feature (and you have the money to pay the monthly premium), why not? If something were to happen to your best assets, the insurance policy could ensure that you have that safety net if it happens to put you out of work. And if you are used to making a ton of money every day, then even being out of commission for a couple of weeks would be incredibly expensive! This explains the amount that celebrities insure their body parts for when they take out insurance policies. It’s still super weird of these famous people to do, but smart nonetheless. Here are 25 celebrities that took out huge insurance policies on body parts:
1. Jennifer Lopez – This singer, dancer, producer, actress, author, and fashion designer has an insurance policy on her derriere for $27 million dollars. Although she is known for shaking her butt in skimpy clothes while performing, I’m pretty sure she would be able to keep her success going even if something were to happen to her butt. But why not insure it if a company is willing to do so?
2. Mariah Carey – This pop star has the highest insurance policy by any celebrity in the world. She insured her legs for $1,000,000,000.00. That is 1 billion dollars for her legs!
3. Holly Madison – This reality TV star, and previous Hugh Hefner girlfriend, has an insurance policy on her breasts for $1 million dollars. This policy is reported to cover her silicone implants, any possible plastic surgery complications, or any other medical issues that may affect her much-loved breasts.
4. Dolly Parton – In the 70’s, Parton insured her breasts for $600,000. However, apparently her breasts have only appreciated over the years because more recently she upgraded insurance to a $3.8 million dollar policy if something were to happen to the assets she was born with.
5. Miley Cyrus – The Disney sweetheart turned wild pop star has taken steps to protect herself in the event that she might be unable to complete her signature look by taking out an insurance policy on her now famous tongue for $1 million dollars.
6. Kylie Minogue – This Australian pop star insured her buttocks for $5 million dollars.
7. Rihanna – This singer didn’t insure her own body parts, but after she was named 2007 Venus Breeze’s “Celebrity Legs of a Goddess” by Gillette Razors, that company helped to insure Rihanna’s legs for $1 million dollars!
8. Jennifer Love Hewitt – It’s not clear if she actually did insure her famous breasts, but this actress did mention she would appreciate a policy to insure them for $2.5 to $5 million dollars.
9. America Ferrara – This Ugly Betty actress is now the face of Aquafresh. The toothpaste company took out an insurance policy on the actress’ teeth/smile for $10 million dollars.
10. David Beckham – The world-famous soccer star took out an insurance policy in 2006 for $195 million dollars which covers his entire body. This is reportedly the largest insurance policy in sports history and had to be split among several different insurance policies.
11. Heidi Klum – One of the most famous Victoria Secret supermodels has an insurance policy for each of her legs. Her left leg is worth $1.2 million dollars, but her right leg is only worth $1 million dollars due to a small scar on her leg where she cut herself on glass.
12. Daniel Craig – This actor has an insurance policy for $9.5 million dollars that covers against loss to his entire body. This James Bond actor insists on doing his own stunts, so Casino Royale took the insurance policy out on the actor in 2006.
13. Tina Turner – This singer has an insurance policy on her legs for $3 million dollars because her legs are such a large piece of her performance.
14. Madonna – This pop star insured her breasts for $2 million dollars. I wonder if they were damaged when she was thrown from her horse 10 years ago?
15. David Lee Roth – This rock musician insured “Little Elvis” which happens to be the name of his genitalia. He also insured his sperm. The policy will pay out $1 million dollars in the event of an unplanned policy to help cover child support. Personally, I think every man should do this!
16. Troy Polamalu – My step-son’s favorite Steeler’s player had his hair insured for $1 million dollars by Head & Shoulders after he started endorsing their product in several commercials for the shampoo company.
17. Taylor Swift – This country super star has insured her legs for $40 Million dollars, the policy covers bruises, permanent skin damage, broken bones, or other similar damage.
18. Gene Simmons – This rock and roll idol insured his iconic tongue for $1 million dollars.
19. Michael Flatley – He’s known as the king of dance and is the highest paid dancer, making over $1.5 million dollars per week. Yes, every week! As the highest paid dancer, it only makes sense that he has the highest insurance policy on a dancer’s leg of $40,000,000. That is forty million dollars!
20. Merv Hughes – This Australian Cricket star had his mustache insured for $370,000!
21. Jamie Lee Curtis – After signing on with the L’Eggs Pantyhose Company for an advertising campaign, they insured her legs for $2.8 million dollars!
22. Keith Richards – As the lead guitarist for The Rolling Stones, this musician insured his hands for $2 million dollars.
23. Bette Davis – This iconic actress in the 1940’s insured her waistline for $28,000 (which would be equivalent to $2 million today). This policy would be paid out if her waistline expanded beyond a size to which she could safely wear a corset.
24. Julia Roberts – One of my favorite actresses, Julia Roberts is known for her large lips and one-of-a-kind smile. She insured that smile for $30 million dollars!
25. Tom Jones – This pop singer insured his chest hair for $7 million dollars in 2007.
I can’t imagine depending on any one of my body parts to ensure I have a successful career. If I ever do become famous because of my tongue, teeth, or breasts (I’m hoping I never have chest hair), then you can bet that I will insure that feature so I am protected if something were to happen to my money-maker!