Modern technology has revolutionized the way we communicate and live. There are so many good things about the technology that we have today. I wouldn’t be able to do my job without it. Looking at the things we had growing up though, it can really make you feel nostalgic. It takes you back to simpler times of being a kid, without any cares or worries. Modern kids have a hard time understanding and appreciating this old technology. They have access to so many things that we didn’t, it can be hard for them to appreciate what we got so excited about as kids. Take a trip down memory lane and check out these pieces of old technology. If you’re like me, they will definitely have you day dreaming about your childhood.
1. In the age of digital cameras, film has become almost obsolete.
2. Before the internet there were these. Encyclopedias where you would look up all your homework and research projects.
3. Searching library card indexes for the location of the book you needed.
4. You won’t find many of these anymore, except for professional T.V. broadcasts.
5. Adjusting the bunny ears on your T.V. to get signal was one of the biggest pains ever.
6. Floppy discs held the first computer program I ever used.
7. You used to have to get your checkout and return date stamped on an actual library card.
8. What’s this thing? Oh yeah, that’s an actual map, what we used before GPS.
9. You used to have to wait a year or more for your favorite movies to come out on VHS. My grandma used to send my brother and I every new Disney movie that came out.
10. Whenever we wanted to go see a movie, we would have to grab the paper and check the times they were playing.
11. One of the best games, and best consoles ever invented. I still remember how excited I was when I got my Super Nintendo.
12. Believe it or not, telephones didn’t always have button. You used to have to turn a dial to whatever number you wanted.
13. This is what an old overhead projector used to look like. I couldn’t imagine one hanging above me like they have now.
14. If you wanted your favorite songs off the radio, you actually had to record them straight from the radio. Good luck getting the DJ’s intro.
15. If you weren’t able to catch the latest episode of your favorite show, you would have to record it on an actual VHS tape. Hopefully your friends wouldn’t ruin it for you before you saw it.
16. Looking up what time your favorite shows were on was done through the actual print version of T.V. guide.
17. You knew it was going to be a good day at school when you saw this sitting in the classroom.
18. This is a stereoscopic 3D toy. It made still images come to life by creating a camera roll of sorts.
19. If didn’t have a Walkman you were a nobody.
20. Everyone had their favorite WordArt style.
21. These were the heart-throbs of every teenage boy back in the day.
22. You would be hard pressed to find a pay phone in many areas today. They are constantly being removed from cities around the world.
23. When your internet software used to come on a CD.
It’s unfortunate that kids today won’t ever get to experience many of these pieces of old technology. I have such an appreciation for part of history. It contains so many awesome memories from my childhood. I wouldn’t give those up for anything.