All winter long, you’re dreaming of the warmer temperatures and how amazing your life would be if you could just live on the beach. The sad truth is that your expectations far exceed reality. Setting unrealistic expectations is a surefire way to continually set yourself up for failure. Why do you want to do that to yourself? Pardon my reality check, but look people. If you lower your expectations, you’ll have a lot more happiness in your life. Don’t get me wrong, with careful planning, you can execute an epic summer vacation or getaway. But don’t expect an endless summer that is 100% full of fun and good times. Below are 20 photos illustrating the realities of summer that just might help you to keep your expectations in check in order to better enjoy the good times.
1. Beach Life: You do realize that seashells and starfish lying on the beach are nothing more than animals unwillingly ripped from their homes and left to die on the hot, dry sand, right?
2. Snorkeling: The pictures you see of beautiful, colorful sea life are a rarity. The majority of what’s seen doesn’t even warrant a photo, let alone people attempting to share it with millions on the internet.
3. The Sand: On a perfect day, that sand is nice and warm. But in reality, if the water is warm enough and the air temperature is perfect, the sand is probably going to set your feet on fire.
4. Castles Made Of Sand: They fall into the sea, eventually! (Thanks for that one JIMI!)
5. Body Boarding: Once again, the photos you see are really a super focused highlight reel. You’re probably going to go out there and almost drown before someone can capture an epic photo of your attempts.
6. People Watching: Don’t I know this one from experience. I thought the beaches in Europe would be super sexy. I left wishing I could pressure wash my eyeballs. Gigantic, hairy, elderly naked people, GROSS!
7. Sunglasses Ruin Your Tan: You know, because they don’t make suntan lotion for your eyeballs. Sunscreen stings, and the sun scorches your eye holes. Lower your expectations of a perfectly tanned face.
8. Man Tan: T-shirt lines, tank top lines, getting sunburn lines on the tender parts of my arms because ape hangers are cool. The struggle is real. I usually only ‘lay down’ to catch some sun once or twice a year. The rest of the time is spent attempting to be productive. Unless you’re a stick, the curves on your body are going to create shadows and more of a camouflage pattern than a smooth tan.
9. Fun Vs Snacks: First world problems. It’s hot outside and the air conditioning feels so nice. Since I can’t go outside, I’ll just stuff my face with delicious snacks to pass the time.
10. Video Game Cheese Puff: Chances are, you’re already a slave to the video games. Why would a nice day tear you away from your gaming obligations?