I like to think that if you were born in the 80’s or earlier, you probably had an awesome childhood full of danger, outdoor activities, bruises, scrapes and a whole lot of cigarette smoke inhalation. I’m not saying that growing up this way was what you’d call “safe” or “healthy” but it was absolutely normal! It took a lot of years of learning, growing and adapting to really appreciate just how dumb some of the things we were doing without batting an eye were. We survived….mostly. Here are 23 times parents might have changed their minds knowing what we know today. These are hilarious.
1. This is my father and his pet lion Priscilla. Taken in California in the 1970’s
2. My mom just chilling with her friends and apparently I was too… 1978
3. My dad showing off his parenting skills 1985.
4. Me, 1958, relaxing after my bath. I was never this cool again.
5. My adorable 4 year old mother at a Zoo in Vietnam, 1970.
6. My 13 year old dad having a taste while the grownups play a game of cards. 1954.
7. Back in the 50’s this was the car seat to have.
8. My mom refers to this picture as her bad parenting moment.
9. A pic of me dressed up as my dad, with my dad, 1982.
10. A motorcycle baby seat was probably not the best idea.
11. My hilarious father taking a look at a Playboy with my grandfather, grandmother and uncle at his Bar Mitzvah in 1972.
12. Ice skating with the baby seems safe enough…. 1937.
13. My mother-in-law riding a bear at 2 years old.
14. Infant me with my mother and father at a bar because that’s how parents rolled in the early 80’s
15. Princess Yvonne and Prince Alexander in Germany, 1955.
16. My mother and grandmother demonstrating safety standards in the 1960’s.
17. If your mom didn’t lay on the ground making herself into a ramp for your new BMX, did she even love you? 1980’s
18. Car seat safety in 1958. Not strapped in or anything. These seats relied on the mother to put her arm out to stop the baby from flying forward…
19. My parents put me in a box and took me to the California Marijuana Initiative Rally in 1972.
20. My mom enjoying a smoke and a roasted chicken after giving birth to my sister in 1978.
21. Me back in 1991. Just your typical Aussie kid drinking XXXX light beer while holding a baby crocodile…
22. My dad and his veterinarian mother alongside their pet lion that they raised for 2 years. 1959.
23. The pinnacle of parenting: 1930’s swimming lessons.
If you were raised during any of these decades and survived, consider yourself lucky! How many of these can you relate to?